UUFRC Program Council Minutes  March 1, 2022  7:00 – 8:30 pm  Zoom

Attendees:  Alex, Lori, Martha, Rob, Brian and Sally

PC Cluster Groups

Operations (Alex):  Building, Committee on Ministries, Communications, CUUE

Congregational Life (Lori):  Caring, Connections, Pastoral Care Team

Justice and Outreach (Sally):  Roosevelt Tutoring, Social Action, Interfaith

Sunday Services (Martha):  MOCA, Music, Worship

Faith Formation (Alex, interim):  Chalice Circles, The Learning Journey,  Youth and

Family, Zine

Governance (Rob):  Board of Trustees, Program Council, Finance, Personnel, 


February Minutes were approved

Chair Update

COVID Task Force:  Will meet Thursday, March 3 to decide the processes for March including COVID check-in details, masks status and seating.  Following the meeting a notice of the decisions will go out to the UUFRC io group.

Rental Task Force:  There has not been progress on this.  Brian suggested the COVID Task Force discuss rentals at their March 3 meeting and let Gigi know the results of their discussion.

AV Support:  Will be needed for the Town Hall 4/24, Installation 5/1 and Annual Meeting 5/22  At the Connections Committee Meeting 3/2 Alex and Martha will ask Greg to add the Zoom Manager to the AV list.

Youth and Family Task Force:  The Youth and Family Task Force will have two meetings (March 7 th in person and March 8th via zoom) to present their recommendations and elicit feedback from members of the Board and the various committees.  The Task Force did extensive research to formulate their suggestions including:  interviewing current parents and other churches.  The attendance of children has been down in recent years in our church and other churches too.  The current goal is to bring more flexibility  to the Sunday experience. to appeal to different learning styles, to have intergenerational experiences, and to promote UU identity and values.  To accomplish this half of the services will be “Reflection Sundays” – like we do now with an hour-long worship service and concurrently religious education classes for children and youth. Twice a month we will have “Action Sundays” – which will begin with a shorter worship service attended by all ages followed by a choice of activities (discussion sessions, medication circles, social action projects and art projects). The RE teachers will be paid staff rather than volunteers and will work at all the services (a model Brian used at his prior church).  After these two sessions Chris Stovall will include  a discussion of this proposal at the Strategic Planning meeting on April 13th.  

Action Items Review:  

Leadership Development and Plan:  Alex and Brian will talk in the Spring about this subject.

Worship Committee Liaison;  Alex will talk with them about this.

Program Council Slide:  has been up and running for a few weeks.

Cluster Group Update

Alex convened the Faith Formation Cluster and noted that Julia Mogilov is in Russia and is trying to get back home.

Aesthetics ad hoc update:  The couches were ordered from Ikea but were available for a 5 day period in January which we missed.  In the interim the price increased 30%.  Alex will report this to the Board for suggestions on moving forward.

Building Committee:  The AV Loft Remodel is completed.  The next projects will be the floor repair and replacing windows.

Communications Committee:  They were thinking of splitting the committee into two areas:  social media and IT but we do not know the outcome of that consideration yet.

Grounds:  Janelle has 5 grounds crews which work to maintain the garden.  There have been several weeding parties and almost all of the weeds have been removed (at least for now).  The trees need trimming as they are interfering with the solar panels.  Janelle has called the City regarding the trees on the street.  Janelle is retiring as of June and she will talk with Nick Kibre regarding taking her place.  

Women’s Circle:  Jorie reported that it is not continuing.

Men’s Group:  Eduardo reports that the men’s group meets a couple of times a month.

Redwood Circle:  The Redwood Circle will become part of the Faith Formation Cluster.


Annual Report:  Chris Stovall and Brian discussed the annual report process and suggested simplifying it to include who is on the committee, highlights of the year,  and noting of the directions which will be explored in the coming year.  Alex will invite the committee chairs to discuss the Annual Report and report back to him their thoughts which he will pass on to the Board.  We will review the proposed UUFRC Committee Annual Report Template at our next meeting.

Program Council Leadership:  We will discuss this at our next meeting.

Action Items

Alex and Martha will talk with Greg Stovall at the March 3 Connections Committee about adding the zoom manager to the AV grid.

Alex will check with the Worship Committee about a liaison to the Program Council.

Alex will invite the Committee Chairs to discuss the annual report suggested format and report back to him their thoughts which he will report back to the Board.

Alex and Brian will discuss and plan Leadership Development this spring.

Alex will report to the Board the status of the couches order.

Next meeting

Tuesday, April 5    7 p.m. via zoom

Minutes submitted by Sally Mentzer