Book Discussion Group
The Book Discussion Group meets in the Back Lounge at 7:00pm on the second Monday of each month for a lively talk about our reading. Books are chosen by member consensus – both fiction and nonfiction, usually current, but we read some classics, too. Everyone is welcome to join any discussion.
For more information, contact Kaye Bonney or Leslie Vallerga.
For March 11, we are reading
- The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life and Legacy of Frances Perkins, Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, and the Minimum Wage by Kirstin Downey.
Frances Perkins is no longer a household name, yet she was one of the most influential women of the twentieth century. Based on eight years of research, extensive archival materials, new documents, and exclusive access to Perkins’s family members and friends, this biography is the first complete portrait of a devoted public servant with a passionate personal life, a mother who changed the landscape of American business and society.
We will be reading the following books during the first half of 2024:
- April 8: Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
- May 13: On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
- June 10: The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride
- July 8: The Six: The Untold Story of America’s First Women Astronauts by Loren Grush