Check out what’s planned for the Learning Journey next year!
Please bear in mind that some dates may need to be changed closer to class times, but we’re hoping to keep on this schedule, so “pencil in” a class on your Google calendar and plan to join us. The latest class news will always be posted on the Learning Journey classes page as it comes available.
Learning Journey Program Q & A
Q. What is the “Voices of UUFRC” program?
A. The Voices of UUFRC is an exciting expansion of our spiritual writing offerings, capped off by a Wine and Cheese evening on May 18, featuring readings of selections written in the Voices Classes and the Writing Groups. Everyone is encouraged to participate in the classes, but some are limited on space due to the nature of the work, so register early! Class registration will open over the summer.
Q. I’m seriously busy. Which is the best all-around class to take, if I have very.limited.time?
A. Gosh, they’re all great; Go with the one that interests you the most! If you’re looking for one class that will add cockles to your UU muscles —
Come to Gretchen and Ellie’s “Living the Interdependent Web: UU Principles” classes on Saturday mornings! It’s ok if you can only make some of the classes. Put the dates you can come on your calendar, and we’ll see you there!
Q. Why are there so many classes all of a sudden? It’s like a Central Valley wildflower bloom around here.
A. Glad you asked! How long do you have?…
- They’re interesting, enriching, meaningful, and fun (um, except maybe Grief Group, but that’s very healing).
- It’s a great chance to connect with other members and friends in our community. When we learn together, it brings us together.
- We are so lucky to have a developing group of committed and talented facilitators. (Join us! We’ll show you the ropes. We’re nice and fun, too.) Learn more about the UUFRC Learning Journey.
- When each of us chose to be Unitarian Universalist, we gained the freedom from having a required creed, prayers or rituals. Yet with that freedom, is the understanding and commitment that UUs have the responsibility of continuing learning about what they believe to be true. A big part of being UU is about reflecting and figuring out your own personal belief system, spiritual journey and/or world view – even atheists. Honor your true commitment to the 3rd and 4th Principles, which all UUs agree to follow. Classes are an easy and fun way to get in your UU “Continuing Education” requirements! (Of course, there are not really any earned credits – but come to enough classes, and you’ll earn a Masters in personal growth!)
- Improve your skills, your knowledge, and the messaging you want to communicate in areas of justice, community and/or family. Learn how to be the change you wish to see. Practice skills you need to find focus, to recharge and rejuvenate. Classes and workshops help you improve and recharge, which in turn lets you help others.
Q. Sounds great! How do I sign up?
A. Class registrations and info are posted on the Upcoming Learning Journey Classes page as they come available. We hope you can join us for a class!
Learning Journey Program: 2018-19 Overview
LJ Classes & Events 2018-19
Scheduled Dates/ Time
# of Sessions
TRACK: Voices of UUFRC: Stories of Faith & Justice
|Parables for Modern Times||4 Sat, 10am-12pm.
Jun 30, Jul 7, 14, 21
|Finding Your Spiritual Voice||6 Sat, 10am-12:30pm.
Mar 2 & 16, Apr 6 & 20, May 4 & 18
|Spiritual Autobiography||4 Wed, 7-9pm. Jan 9, 16, 23 & 30||Beth Harrison||4|
|Spiritual Autobiography Groups Potluck||early March? TBD||Beth Harrison
|Poems of Resistance||3 Wed, 7pm-9pm. Oct 10 & 24, Nov 7||Lee Rossi||3|
|The Voices of UUFRC Program Night: An evening of storytelling & readings in sanctuary||5/18/2019||Tanya||1|
TRACK: UU Identity & UUFRC Transition
|UU Principles: Living the Interdependent Web||8 Sat 10-12. Sep 15, 21, 29, Oct 6, 13, 27, Nov 3, 17||Gretchen & Ellie||8|
|Language of Emotions||4 Mon 7-9pm.
Jan 7, 14, 21, 28
|Covenant of Right Relations Workshop||end of January TBD||Gretchen||1 day|
|The Grief Group||5 Tues 7-9pm.
Feb 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar 5
|How to Facilitate Difficult Conversations||One Sun/month after service, Mar, Apr, May. Dates TBD||Gretchen||3|
|Owning Your Religious Past||5 Sat 10-12.
Mar 16, 23, 30, Apr 6, 13
|Ellie & Gretchen||5|
TRACK: Community & Connections
|Evensong for Families Night||Sat, Oct 13; 5-7pm||Derby & Tanya||1|
|Women’s Circle: Whirling Rainbows Lodge (open to self-id female)||2nd Tues of month; 7-9pm; Sep-May||Tanya & Jorie||8|
TRACK: Personal & Spiritual Growth, UU Identity
|Spirituality Class: Rotating topics||3rd Thurs of month; 7-9pm; Sep-May (No Dec)||TBD||8|
|Midweek Meditations emails||Sent every Wednesday morning to subscribers||Tanya||52|
|LGBTQIA+ event planned||Date TBD||Sarah|
|Check the Upcoming Classes page next year for a few additional offerings in the works!|