Program Council Retreat Meeting Minutes August 28, 2021

August 28, 2021  3:00 – 6:00 p.m. at Alex’s home

Attendees:  Alex, Martha, Rob, Brian, and Sally

PC Cluster Groups

Operations (Alex):  Building, Committee on Ministries, Communications, CUUE

Congregational Life (Lori):  Caring, Connections, Pastoral Care

Justice and Outreach (Sally):  Roosevelt Tutoring, Social Action, Peninsula Multifaith Coalition

Food Distribution

Sunday Services (Martha):  MOCA, Music, Worship

Faith Formation (vacant):  Chalice Circles, The Learning Journey, Youth and Family

Governance (Rob):  Board of Trustees, Program Council, Finance, Personnel,



Couches:  At the Annual Meeting, Liz Davis suggested we purchase 5 new couches to replace our current collection of donated couches.  An Ad Hoc Committee of Liz, Alex, and Danielle researched this issue and submitted a proposal to the Board to use the Building Reserve to purchase these at Ikea at a price of $3,000 – $4,000.

COVID Task Force:  The COVID Task Force is working on the details for the first hybrid church services on September 12th.  Attendees at the in-person service will need to show proof of vaccination.

Auction Date:  Brian suggested holding the annual auction at the end of January and the Pledge Drive the first week of March.  Alex will discuss this proposal with Jessica, Jen and Susie.


Liaison’s role:  Alex asked the liaisons to remind committee chairs to use the Facility Calendar and Event Request Form. He also asked the liaisons to remind the committee chairs in their second year to identify a successor.  

Responsibilities for this year:  Minutes – Sally; IT – Alex; COVID Task Force – Alex, Strategic Plan – Martha

Successor to Jorie:  Alex will ask John Kim and Jen Gill about this.

Meetings:  We agreed to continue Meetings on the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.


Leadership Development – goal to have more people involved in leadership

Last year we created a video

For this spring we will aim to have a leadership development plan. Alex will talk 

with Jen Gill and also the Connections Committee regarding this

New form – We will create a new form for communicating about proposed changes.  This 

Will be for things like new couches and the TV in the upper sanctuary.  The goal 

Is to make sure all who will be impacted are consulted.  If money is involved the 

Proposed change needs to go before the Board.

Committee Chair Status:

Finance Committee – Does not have a chair but it is working well

Worship Committee – The chair is rotating each meeting

Caring Committee – May become part of the Connections Committee New Committee:

The Strategic Planning Committee will begin in September.  Members are:

Polly, Liz, Peter, Martha, Steve Hill and Jan

Alex will talk with Chris about committee structure

Cluster Group Updates for future meetings:

October – Alex

November – Sally

December – Martha

All Ages Activities:

Lillian does not have the bandwidth to continue to organize the all ages activities.  We agreed they are important. The idea was originally Maeve’s,  Martha will discuss ideas for moving forward with her.

Wayside Pulpit:

Jorie created a template. Every few months the quote will be changed and a new one put up by a different committee.  Alex will ask Kaye if Social Action will do October.

Action items

Alex will discuss the proposed auction date with Jessica, Jen and Susie

All will remind the Committee Chairs to use the Facility Calendar and Event Request form and 

also, in their second year to identify a successor

Alex will ask John Kim and Jen Gill about the successor for Jorie’s Cluster Group

Alex will talk with Jen Gill and the Connections Committee regarding the Leadership

Development plan

Alex will talk with Chris about Committee Structure

Martha will discuss the future of All Ages Activities with Maeve

Alex will ask Kaye if the Social Action Committee will do the Wayside Pulpit for October

Alex will ask  Lori if she will join the YAF Task Force

Next meeting:  September 12, 2021  7 – 8:30 p.m.