Program Council Minutes   4/4/2023   7:00 – 8:30 p.m.  In Person

Attendees:  Alex, Martha, Sally, Joyce, Rob, Brian (absent:  Anna) 

Guests:  DeeDee Stovel, Chris Stovall

PC Cluster Groups

Operations (Alex):  Building, Committee on Ministries, Communications, CUUE

Congregational Life (Joyce):  Caring, Connections, Pastoral Care Team

Justice and Outreach (Sally):  Social Action, Roosevelt Tutoring, Interfaith Food


Sunday Services (Martha):  MOCA, Music, Worship

Faith Formation(Anna):  Chalice Circles, The Learning Journey, Youth and Family,


Governance (Rob): Board of Trustees, Program Council, Finance, Personnel,


Strategic Plan Implementation (Chris Stovall)

  • The SPIT Team (Strategic Plan Implementation Team) has been having many conversations with individuals and committees.  They are looking at goals and how the goals are evolving as well as the “tricky” part of how to measure fulfillment of goals.  The overall goal is to have a Strategic Plan in place that the board can use from year to year.  As a future result of these conversations Chris will return to discuss with us how the Program Council can be involved.

Radical Hospitality (DeeDee Stovel and Alex)

  • DeeDee let us know that the Connections Committee is requesting help from all of us in warmly welcoming newcomers.  As part of this effort we now have a Marketing Toolkit to help us become more comfortable with talking with newcomers.  
  • Other Committees being talked with about this goal of increasing our hospitality are:  Social Action, Worship, and Finance.
  •  Note:  the term Radical Hospitality came from a sermon Rev. Gretchen did in 2019.  An important focus for this effort is the Social Hour.  We are encouraged to notice new people who are standing alone and to go up to them!
  • Brian noted that he saves the 15 minutes before and after each service to greet new people in particular and build our community.

Cluster Group Report:  Congregational Life (Joyce)

  • Pastoral Care Committee:  is down 2 members.  It has added supporting the new Care-Givers Group which meets monthly and is led by Rev. Brian.
  • Caring Committee:  has been providing transportation for two members and two families have requested meals recently.
  • Connections Committee: 

– Has approved its amended Charter.

–  Is focusing on welcoming newcomers

– Held a very successful pancake breakfast (low cost, high connections).

– Had a game night which drew 30 people.

– Held a Newcomers Quarterly dinner that included 12 newcomers and 6 committee members.

– January 2nd welcomed two new members.

General Assembly Delegates

  • Three General Assembly Delegate names were sent to the Board for Approval:

In person delegates:  Marianna Raymond and Beth Eggers

Virtual delegate:  Anna Dyer

All three are voting delegates

Bulletin Boards (Anna Dyer)

  • This was tabled until next meeting due to a family gathering conflict for Anna).

Wayside Pulpit (Martha)

  • The new Wayside Pulpit went up today.  Martha suggested to Rob that the Board do the Wayside Pulpit for June/July.
  • She also suggested that one of our Program Council members take on the responsibility at our August retreat of getting groups to do the Wayside Pulpit for the coming year.

Committee Table during the Social Hour (Martha)

  • Martha will check with Liz Davis to see if the Worship Committee would like to have a table in the Social Hall during the Social Hour to recruit new members.

Help needed at upcoming event: (Alex)

  •  Alex asked for a volunteer to help with childcare for the April 22nd evening event at UUFRC.  Professor Irshad Manjii will speak on the topic:  How to Discuss Polarizing Issues Productively.  Martha and Sally volunteered to split the time.