Program Council Minutes 10/4/2022  7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. UUFRC Sanctuary

Attendees:  Alex, Joyce, Martha, Rob, Brian and Sally

Guests:  Jen Gill, Peter Hartzell, Chris Stovall

PC Cluster Groups

Operations (Alex):  Building, Committee on Ministries, Communications,CUUE

Congregational Life (Joyce):  Caring, Connections, Pastoral Care Team

Justice and Outreach (Sally):  Social Action, Roosevelt Tutoring, Interfaith

Food Distribution

Sunday Services (Martha):  MOCA, Music, Worship

Faith Formation (Alex, interim):  Chalice Circles, The Learning Journey,

Youth and Family, Zine

Governance (Rob):  Board of Trustees, Program Council, Finance, Personnel,


Major initiatives Review

Leadership Development and Training: 

Core planning group is:  Peter Hartzell, Rob Davis, Alex Stagner and Jen Gill

The objective is to establish a group of people at UUFRC who can be leaders for various committees, affinity groups, and task forces and to involve more members of our UUFRC Community

Current challenges:  

  • The same 30 – 40 people are volunteering for the many of the roles 


  • To have long time volunteers feel comfortable stepping down from roles
  • Develop a succession plan for leadership roles
  • Develop a list of volunteers who are willing and able to perform our leadership roles
  • To for all roles, list a job description, a monthly time commitment and a term limit


  • A list has been created of people who might possibly take on more responsibility

Some next steps (Brian will do an outline of this to be completed by February)

  • A video is being created to show how to reserve a room
  • Instructions need to be made clear on how to run a hybrid meeting

Technology Committee (Tech Com) Draft Charter

We were presented the draft of the Tech Com Charter.  There will be a committee and volunteers.  The proposed committee chair or point of contact will be submitted annually to the Board of Trustees for approval.  The committee will meet at least every two months at the call of the chair/or point of contact.

This committee does not have a budget.  Expenses associated with technology needs will come from a budget line item or the general reserves.


Ice Cream Social:  It was well attended and the crowd was enthusiastic.  Alex will get the names of any people who signed up for volunteering at any of the tables.  It was quite crowded so perhaps additional spaces should be added particularly for those stations which are louder (music station).


Young Adult Group Proposal Chris Stovall presented a proposal she made to the Board t9/30/2022 to form a Young Adult Group.  The goal is to have a kick-off event in October for ages 18 – 35 and a subsequent event for at least two more months (three months total for initial proposal).  Chris will lead the group initially but the goal is to have it peer led. In the future the goal is to have a Young Adult Coordinator position (proposed stipend for 2023 $1,200 or $100 monthly).  Funding sources:  Committee Budget Line Item, Reserves Fund, Fundraiser, Donation.

This group will be part of the Faith Formation Cluster.

Strategic Plan Update

Update on the new UUFRC Strategic Plan Task Force and Implementation Plans:

Chris Stovall presented the results of the Strategic Plan Task Force.  This is a 3 – 5 year plan to support our mission and vision. The goals have projected outcomes associated with them.

The Strategic Goals are:

Strategic Goal 1:  UUFRC will grow as an intergenerational community that closely reflects all generations

Strategic Goal 2:  UUFRC will actively serve and care for the spiritual, emotional and social journeys and needs of every member and friend

Strategic Goal 3:  UUFRC will be an anti-oppressive, inclusive Fellowship who will continually learn from and partner with organizations in San Mateo County

Strategic Goal 4:  Deliver a seamless, equivalent experience for in-person and on-line participants in Sunday Services, ministry, and other church programs

Strategic Goal 5:  UUFRC will have a sustainable and efficient operational model to facilitate the achievement of the four Strategic Goals

The proposal to the Program Council was to have one of the members of the Strategic Plan Implementation Team (SPIT) pair with each Cluster Group lead to set up a meeting to discuss the Strategic Plan.  Then the leaders of each of the committees will be asked to run the ideas by their committee for feedback as to how their cluster can work with these goals.  The goal of the Strategic Plan Task Force is to have all of these discussions complete by the end of December.

Cluster Group Update

Justice and Outreach:  was scheduled for this meeting; however, the meeting was running long and there were other items on the agenda so Sally suggested she present at a future meeting.  Note:  in September Alex was scheduled for his clusters and though he reached out to his groups he had no responses so suggested he report at a future meeting.  Martha is scheduled for the November meeting so we need to decide when to have Alex and Sally do their cluster reports.

Planning Update

Silent Auction contribution from PC:  Ano Nueva event – It needs to be booked 55 days out and between December and March.  Alex will write up the blurb.  We will divide the cost among us and we will also provide a picnic.

Program Council – Additional Business

Barbie Laderman-Jones requested to waive the fee for a Peninsula Multi-Faith event with AV support on November 16.  Barbie will be in attendance and in charge.  The PC approved the waiver of the fee.

Next meeting:  November 1 in person at UUFRC  7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Note:  Martha Beetley will be in charge and will make the final decision as to whether it is in person or Zoom

Submitted by Sally Mentzer