Program Council Meeting Minutes from June 1, 2021

UUFRC Program Council Minutes 2021_06_01 7:00 – 8:30pm via Zoom

Attendees:  Alex, Lori, Ellen, Martha, Tovis, Rev. Brian, absent Jorie

PC Cluster Groups 

Operations (Alex): Building, Committee on Ministries, Communications, CUUE

Congregational Life (Lori):  Caring, Connections, Pastoral Care Team

Justice & Outreach (Ellen):  Roosevelt Tutoring, Social Action, Interfaith

Sunday Services (Martha):  MOCA, Music, Worship

Faith Formation (Jorie):  Chalice Circles, The Learning Journey, Youth & Family

Governance (Tovis):  Board of Trustees, Program Council, Finance, Personnel, Stewardship

May Minutes approved.

Chair Update

Justice & Outreach liaison position- Sally Mentzer agreed to fill it.  Thank you, Ellen, for serving for 2 years.

Board of Trustees will choose a Board member to be liaison for Governance cluster. 

PC Auction item – Strawberry Jam making on July 18, 2 pm – bid on by 2 families.  Alex, Martha, Lori & Ellen (maybe) will help on that day.  

PC retreat (in-person)  August 28, 3-6pm at Alex’s house.  Skip the regular July & August meetings.

Successors for PC liaisons  – someone from SAC for Justice and Outreach and the Board will choose a Board member for Governance

Jan asked for approval from PC for a rental request for a wedding on December 18th  Approved.

Cluster update
Jorie, Wayside Pulpit – installed a new poster with words from Rev. Brian.   Rev. Brian will ask Worship Committee to create the poster for September using the template Jorie created. 

Ellen, COVID Task Force, suggested that PC be proactive in communicating between groups about the building opening in September, as well as the decision made by PC to start renting to outside groups starting in November 2021.  

Alex, Building, following up on a suggestion to get new or better couches for the Front Lounge and the Back Lounge – Re-form the Aesthetics Committee.  Alex & Liz D. currently forming the committee.  Maybe ask for donations from the congregation.

Tovis, Governance, mentioned that the BoT is testing out a Request Form to be used when making a suggestion to the Board so that all the information will be included for the BoT to vote on a proposal. 

Program Council Retreat

Brainstormed items to discuss:  Installation of our Minister – plans and date (maybe Spring 2022)

Leadership training

Relationship of PC with BoT and the community

Scheduling cluster meetings – maybe staggered months 

Wayside Pulpit  – schedule for changing the poster 



Rummage Sale – Need to put out a blanket request for volunteers to lead the rummage sale on, community announcements & slides at beginning of Worship Service.   Date TBD with consideration for when the Auction will be in 2021 and 2022.  

Hybrid Committee Meetings – Rev. Brian noted that we need training about facilitating hybrid meetings (in-person & Zoom simultaneously) to be successful, equitable, inclusive.  Meeting chairs need the training.  May be able to find an outside source for this specific leadership training.  PC to look in to finding the training. 

Opening the building to in-person Worship Services & meetings – Tovis concerned that people may be feeling left out of the process and how decisions are being made.  Suggested more communication from the COVID Task Force with updates in the Friday bulletin.  Rev. Brian suggested finding ways to improve the messaging so that it addresses how we are in a transition stage, for some people it is hard and an emotional hardship.   

Action Items

Rev. Brian –ask Worship Committee to create the poster for September Wayside Pulpit. 

All – invite committee chairs to think of something for the Wayside Pulpit

Alex – contact Cal S. to lead Building upgrade group

Alex – draft a blanket request for volunteers to lead the rummage sale on, community announcements & slides at beginning of Worship Service

Alex – contact Jan with message that she may make decisions for future rentals without checking with PC, unless PC can be helpful in a particular case.  

Jorie – contact RE people to find a leader for that group re: opening task list

Lori – Add Pastoral Care Team to Congregational Life cluster

Martha & Alex – talk with the April 2021 Auction team  about recommendations for future dates and improvement strategies

Next Meeting:  August 28 – PC retreat.  

Regularly scheduled meetings are the first Tuesday of the month, 7 – 8:30pm.