At the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Redwood City, we strive to be good neighbors and helpful friends. We partner or work with many worthy charitable organizations and schools, to further promote their mission. We appreciate our connections with our community and reach out with helping hands.
Share the Plate Program
Each year since 2006, the Social Action Committee solicits nominations for non-profit organizations to which UUFRC will give one week’s Sunday collection. Usually they are local organizations in which one or more of our members is actively involved. If more than 10 organizations are nominated, the Social Action Committee prepares a ballot and there is a vote for members and friends after the annual meeting to select the winners.
Each month during the year, one of the selected organizations provides a brief presentation during the service and a collection is taken for their cause.
The following organizations were selected for FY2019 – 2020:
- July 14 – Rape Trauma Services
- August 11 – Redwood City Educational Foundation
- September 15 – JobTrain
- October 13 – Community Overcoming Relationship Abuse
- November 17 – Upward Scholars
- December 1 – Insight Out
- January 12 – Sequoia High School Dream Club
- February 16 – Second Harvest Food Bank
- March 15 – International Women’s Convocation
- April 5 – Fools Mission
- May 17 – Roosevelt School Outdoor Education
- June 21 – San Mateo County Pride Center
And here’s what we gave to 12 worthy organizations last year:
- Incredible Edible Mid-Peninsula $533
- KARA $751
- Redwood City Educational Foundation $836
- Congregational Church of San Mateo and Unitarian Universalists of San Mateo
- Sanctuary Fund $1372
- Upward Scholars $928
- CORA $1191
- Dream Club $6400
- Roosevelt Outdoor Education $2254
- Peninsula Young Writers $1004
- Fools Mission $1241
- San Mateo Pride Center $834
- Sacred Rok $791
For a total of $18,135!
Roosevelt School Tutoring and Outreach
In 2007, UUFRC identified education inequalities as an issue they felt was a top priority within our elementary schools and began a tutoring program at Roosevelt School in Redwood City, which continues to this day. We also support their Outdoor Ed program.
UUFRC often takes on special collections or assistance, based on responding to those needing help. Recent efforts include:
- Letterwriting / petition gathering table, usually after the service on the 2nd Sunday of the month. This happens based on someone stepping up with an idea – we can help with supplies and setup.
- We collect food for Second Harvest Food Bank throughout the year, as well as toiletries for the WeHope Shelter in East Palo Alto and Dignity on Wheels, which provides laundry services and showers for the homeless from a bus.
- This fall we collected new or clean/good condition second hand children’s clothes for the San Mateo Samaritan House “Kid’s Closet.” At the holidays, we collect new toys for the Toys for Tots drive.
- We gathered donations and supplies for storm-battered Puerto Rico, Houston and Florida.