After I finished writing it, I realized the theme of my column this month is connections.
To help better connect UUFRC’s families to each other, the Youth and Families Committee is hosting the following events. Please put them on your calendar and RSVP when asked! Also, we would love some more help! Anyone interested in helping an individual event’s coordinator please contact that person or me.
- October 8, 2017, noon – 2 pm. Pizza in the Park. Come meet other UUFRC families over pizza! Adults converse while children play on the playground. Please RSVP to Jo Mutch by Friday, October 6, so we can have the right amount of food!
- December 10, 2017, 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Holiday Lights Walk. Celebrate the season by viewing the holiday lights on Eucalyptus Avenue! We’ll have hot cocoa available at the Gee residence. All are welcome.
- January 20, 2018, 5 – 7 pm. Game Night. Join us for pizza and fun games for all ages! All are welcome. Co-sponsored by Connections Committee.
- February 24, 2018, 6 – 9 pm. Spaghetti Dinner. Support our youth as they raise money for the education of the Nepalese child we are sponsoring through ANSWER. The Music Committee is planning a concurrent sing-along.
- April 22, 2018, noon – 2 pm. Picnic in the Park. Join us for good food, fun games, and great conversation! Please RSVP to Sarah Stewart with what you will bring to this potluck.
- May 20, 2018, noon – 4 pm. End-of-Year BBQ. Celebrate another great year at UUFRC! Trampoline and water guns available for the young and the young-at-heart. Please RSVP to Jessica Roybal with what you will bring to this potluck.
To help new families feel welcome and better connected, we are offering to pair them with an established UUFRC family. Buddy families make time to periodically meet with the new family (like lunch after church) and frequently check in with them about how they are doing and answer questions. If you would like to be (or find out more about being) a buddy family, or would like to be assigned a buddy family, please contact me!
The UUFRC Retreat at Monte Toyon in Aptos, California, is coming up (Friday evening, November 10, through Sunday morning, November 12)! I encourage all our families to attend as many of the days as they can. There will be workshops and activities for all ages, and there’s lots of forest to explore! My family and I look forward to this event every year. If cost is an issue, please contact one of the retreat chairs, Debbie Mytels. I hope to see you there!
If you are not on the UUFRC Parents Yahoo group, please let me know! This group is primarily used to communicate about child and youth programming at UUFRC. It’s the best way I know to stay informed about what is going on.
See you in church. —Derby