2018-2019 is going to be an exciting year! Here’s what’s going on.
Parent Meeting, Sunday, September 16, noon-1 pm in sanctuary
I plan to cover what programming we are offering this year (Sunday school, youth group, OWL, etc.) and what the expectations of participating families are. Child care (with snacks) will be provided.
- supervised free play for children 6 and under is available every Sunday in the Block Room.
- kindergarten – 3rd grade will meet in the Game Room after being sung out of the sanctuary. They will spend the year exploring UU values using picture books.
- 4th – 8th grade will meet in the Back Lounge after being sung out of the sanctuary. In the fall, they will explore right and wrong using the Amazing Grace curriculum (for more information, see https://www.uua.org/re/tapestry/children/grace). In the winter, they will develop a basic understanding of Hinduism. In the spring, they will touch on Buddhism, with an emphasis on practices useful to overscheduled students.
We have a number of things planned for 9th-12th graders; I will send a link to a Google document listing everything for the year when it is ready. For starters, put these events on your calendars:
- youth spirituality with Rev. Gretchen. A short vespers service, followed by dinner (likely pizza and fruit), followed by an exploration of different spiritual practices that may be useful to stay sane in their busy lives. Sept 16, Oct 14, Nov 4, Dec 9, all 5 to 8 pm in the Minister’s Study.
- circle worship. The centerpiece of this youth-style worship will be discussions of current topics through the lens of our UU values. Sept 30, Nov 18 (and more in 2019), 10:30 am to noon in the back half of the Block Room.
- local hikes, Oct 27 and Dec 1, 2 to 5 pm, meeting at UUFRC.
Our Whole Lives, Grades 5-6
Covering topics including body image, puberty, sexual orientation, gender identity, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy, communication, bullying, pornography, and consent, this age-appropriate, comprehensive human sexuality class provides necessary information to those entering or about to enter middle school in a sex-positive way.
If you missed the orientation on August 26 and want your child to participate, contact Derby immediately. The class runs from September 16 to November 18. UUFRC offers this class every two years.
Our Whole Lives, Grades 10-12
The last in the series of comprehensive human sexuality classes offered at UUFRC will be offered on Sunday afternoons, January through May (skipping holidays). Stay tuned for information about the required parent orientation and specific class dates and times.
UUFRC and UUSM jointly offer this class every two years.
Coming of Age