Board Meeting Minutes for November 29, 2022

UUFRC Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes

November 29, 2022

Location:  UUFRC Sanctuary

Trustees Attending: Brian Ferguson (non-voting), Peter Hartzell, Jeanne DeShazo, Dick Edminster, Jason Laderman, Erika Pretell

Trustees Absent:  Rob Davis, Julia Mogilev 

Guests: Tovis Page

Peter Hartzell chaired the meeting and Erika Pretell acted as secretary for the meeting.

7:03 pm Call to Order – Peter

Chalice lighting; Opening words; A moment of centering – Brian

Anti-Racism Learning –

Consent Agenda 

  • The following reports were accepted:
    • Last BOT Meeting Minutes – 10-25-22
    • Minister’s Report – November
    • Finance Committee Report 
    • No Personnel Committee Report this month
  • Connections Coordinator Report – November – Will be considered at next board meeting (received late)

Strategic Discussion – Peter

  • Discussion of how we feel we are doing on board goal #2, Cohesive communication strategy and implementation both internally and externally
    • Concern that despite repeated mentioning of strategic planning process, many members have expressed surprise about it
      • Suggestion to increase ways of communicating, such as having a “column” every two weeks with rotating writers (Brian and board members) to share important info.  Print a copy and hang in social hall 
      • Sometimes people won’t remember info unless there’s a call to action
    • Brief update from Erika on Outreach & Marketing (OM) workshop on 11/19, attended by 11 people.  More details to follow after Liz and Erika complete a draft report.

Operations – Board Oversight

Board Reports – Items for Discussion as Needed

Program Council Update – Rob

  • No update

OGNS Update – Erika

  • Erika and Teacher Kristi will meet later this week

Personnel Update – Jason

  • Resolved Board approved new job description for Educator/Mentor as presented by Jason. 

Financial Update – Dick

  • We invested another $50K in a 5-month CD at 3.5%
  • Discussed proposed process and timeline for developing 2023 budget
  • Peter will make sure that key dates are kept track of

Task Force Updates

Strategic Implementation & Young Adult Program 

  • Written update received from Chris Stovall
  • Town halls on Dec. 11(after service) and Dec. 12 (Zoom)

Operations – General

Youth & Family, RE Program, Action Sunday – Brian

  • YFC Implementation Team and Action Sunday Update (Brian)
    • Covered in monthly report

Rental Tactical marketing meeting (Jeanne, Brian, Peter) 

  • Team met and developed a list of 11 challenges to be solved
  • Plan to offer tech services (paid for by renters) to enable hybrid support, recording, etc.

Leadership and Member Integration – Peter & Brian

  • Engagement:  three big events this fall (auction, retreat, volunteer appreciation party)
  • Volunteerism:  developed list of roles and needs
    • Elisa Neipp and Amy French will co-chair pledge drive
    • Brian will temporarily lead Learning Journey through June; need to identify people to take over.  Also need to develop a programming arc
    • Leadership:  Brian and Alex Stagner are creating set of trainings to offer in February

Ordination of Tovis Page Request – Tovis

  • UUFRC sponsored Tovis as a ministerial candidate; she did her internship with UUSM
  • She has been granted preliminary fellowship 
  • Tovis would like to have UUFRC ordain her (ceremony and celebration).  She would like to invite UUSM to co-ordain if they’re willing and able.  The event will take place in late April or early May.
  • Resolved the board supports ordaining Tovis Page at UUFRC. 

Spending in line with our values – Peter and Jason

  • We reviewed draft policy
  • Already have a policy for investments, but could revisit

Video Camera Purchase Proposal

  • Board supports but no vote required because request is within budget

Little Free Library Proposal – Peter

  • Last month Board approved a motion to approve proposal to build and maintain a Little Free Library in the front yard 
  • Some additional details:
    • The final location will be determined by Brian and Dee Dee Stoval, chair, Grounds Committee.  
    • The installation will be coordinated by John Cooney, chair Building Committee.  
    • The Curation of the Library will be the responsibility of Rev. Brian.  
    • No later than in the June 2022 Board meeting, feedback on the Library will be heard and a decision made to continue, adjust or remove it.
    • Scheduled daily/weekly check of contents for appropriateness or vandalism (as part of gardening cleanup or staff arrival).

End of Year Appreciation for Staff

  • Board will plan a dinner party on a Friday in January 

Wrap Up 

Action Items Review – Erika

  • Peter will make sure key budget planning dates are tracked
  • Peter and Jason will take the lead on planning dinner for staff
  • Brian will follow up with Tovis about her ordination.
  • Jeanne will look up information related to Ellie Kilpatrick’’s ordination
    • Note:  Decision to ordain Ellie was made by congregational vote

Thank You Notes (Jeanne)

  • Jen Bahr-Davidson and Sarah Skovlund for leading successful retreat
  • David Krevor and Matt Garr for music at the retreat

Next Meeting

  •  BoT Meeting -Tuesday, January 3, by Zoom

Closing Circle – Brian

Adjourn: 9:20 pm