Board Meeting Minutes for January 3, 2023

UUFRC Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes

January 3, 2023

Location:  Via Zoom

Trustees Attending: Brian Ferguson (non-voting), Peter Hartzell, Rob Davis, Jeanne DeShazo, Dick Edminster, Jason Laderman, Julia Mogilev, Erika Pretell

Trustees Absent:  None

Guests:  None

Peter Hartzell chaired the meeting and Erika Pretell acted as secretary for the meeting.

Call to order – Peter

Chalice lighting; Opening words; A moment of centering – Julia

Consent Agenda 

  • The following reports were accepted:
    • Last BOT Meeting Minutes – 10-25-22
    • Connections Coordinator Report – December
    • Minister’s Report – December
    • Finance Committee Report – December
    • Personnel Committee Report – none

Operations – Board Oversight

Board Reports – Items for Discussion as Needed

Personnel Update – Jason

  • Board should come up with a plan for who will be responsible for enforcing Child & Youth Safety Policy
  • Brian recommended we delegate to Implementation Team 
  • Program Council responsible for Block Room
  • Brian will take it to Implementation Team – if they agree, he will then take it to Personnel Committee

Financial Update – Dick

  • Existing committees have been asked to request budget amounts for next year; no need to respond if no change needed from last year
  • Three brand new groups need to request budget (OM, Pastoral Care, Young Adult Group)
    • Pastoral Care request $500
    • OM placeholder $1000
    • Dick followed up with Chris Stovall by email on Jan 4; she requested a stipend of $100/month for a Young Adult Coordinator and a budget of $500 for the YA group (total $1,700/year)
  • Brian will provide input regarding salary and benefits based on recommendations from UUA
  • Implementation Team will provide amounts for RE budget/staffing
  • Program Council will request funding for GA scholarships (Rob will talk to Alex about this)
  • Utilities will impact the budget

Task Force Updates

Outreach & Marketing Team – Erika

  • The board reviewed Erika’s recommendation to Brian and Peter and provided feedback (overall very positive)

Rental Committee – no progress over holidays

Pastoral Care Committee Charter

  • Pastoral Care has submitted a charter for Board approval
  • Resolved The board approved the new Pastoral Care Committee Charter as presented

Operations – General

Tovis ordination – Peter

  • Planned for May 6
  • Congregational vote required. Our first choice date for meeting is Feb. 5, with Jan 22 as backup 
  • Board action required to move up the $4500 in ministerial reserve scheduled for 4 years from now (Peter and Jeanne will circle back with Tovis regarding amount)


  • Staff Appreciation event at Peter’s on Friday, 5-6:30

Wrap Up 

Action Items Review – Erika

  • Brian will talk to Implementation Team about taking on responsibility for Child & Youth Safety Policy enforcement
  • Rob will talk to Alex about funding for CUUE in budget
  • Dick will follow up with Chris Stovall for costs for Youth Adult group
  • Jeanne & Peter will follow up with Tovis
  • Jeanne will work on message for congregational vote
  • Dick will talk to Fin Com about how to address the cost of ordination (via ministerial reserve)

Thank You Notes (Julia)

Name/GroupGratitude for…
Cal SloanRe-designed west down spout in Atrium
Rob Fawcett, Cal Sloan, Peter Hartzell, John CooneyReplacement of 15 old fluorescent light fixtures with bright, low energy LED light fixtures and dimmers throughout office and classroom areas.
Liz & Rob Davis, John Cooney, and Dawn Reyen (Christmas Day).Holiday services
Rob VersluisFor his service on the Worship Committee which he is leaving.

Next Meeting

  •  BoT Meeting – Tuesday, January 31, 7 – 9:30pm, Sanctuary

Closing Circle – Julia

Adjourn: 8 pm 


On January 17, Erika proposed that we increase the initial $3000 budget by $238.87 to cover additional materials required for the LED lighting project, per a request from Dick Edminster.  John Cooney submitted a board approval form to pay John and Rob F promptly.  The proposal was seconded and an email vote was conducted.  The motion carried.
Resolved Board approved a motion to increase the LED replacement budget by $238.87.