UUFRC Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
August 29, 2023
Location: UUFRC Sanctuary
Trustees Attending: Brian Ferguson (non-voting), Peter Hartzell, Jason Laderman-Jones, Lori Longo, Erika Pretell, Susie Idzik, Ed Vaughan, Gregory Gee
Trustees Absent: None
Guests: Dick Edminster, Treasurer
Peter Hartzell chaired the meeting and Erika Pretell acted as secretary for the meeting.
Call to order – Peter
Chalice lighting; Opening words; A moment of centering – Susie
Anti-Racism Reading & Discussion – conversation
- The following reports were accepted:
- Last BOT Meeting Minutes – 7.25.23
- Minister’s Report – August
- Finance Committee Report – August
- Personnel Committee Report – None
- Connections Coordinator Report – August
Strategic Discussion – Peter
- What should the Board’s focus goals be for this year?
Should we prioritize initiatives and task forces; what are our criteria?
- Board and Program Council need to put effort if it crosses multiple committees. Otherwise, let the committees handle it and update the board on a quarterly basis.
- Consider: How long they will take; is there energy behind it; resources required; where does it fall on strategic lineup; what impact if we don’t do it or wait
Operations – Board Oversight
Financial Update – Dick
- Motion to re-allocate surplus income
- RESOLVED: Board approved re-allocation of $96,912 surplus from FY 2022-23, including Special Donations and Corporate Matches received, along with re-allocation of $25,069 in Special Donations and Corporate Matches accumulated from prior fiscal years, as recommended by the Finance Committee:
- $15,000 from Other-Operations to Ministerial Reserve.
- $65,000 from Other-Operations to Building Reserve.
- $41,981 from Other-Operations to the Futures Reserve.
- Finance committee to discuss investment strategy and meet with advisor David Ammon; will update the board in October
Personnel Update – Jason
- Brian’s performance review. Brian is reviewing and will add comments. Board will approve final copy at September meeting.
- Board acknowledges receipt of Personnel Handbook and appreciates the work by the Personnel Committee.
Task Force Updates
- Which to track monthly/regularly and how?
- By Friday at noon prior to each BoT meeting we will plan to have agenda and pre-read docs in the folder. If you have an agenda item, get it to Peter by Wednesday end of day. Peter, Jason and Brian will meet on Thursday to prepare the agenda. At the beginning of each meeting we will ask if there are any additions to the agenda (rather than revise reports over the weekend).
Operations – General
Tighten board announcements (Jason)
- Let’s start using the Google form and ask people to give feedback
Idea of monthly communication to the congregation on board work, priorities, meeting notes
- Should we send this out in the week following the board meeting; could be in the bulletin
- Or quarterly conversations where people can talk with the board (could be an Action Sunday session)
- Disconnect between leadership and congregants; talk about emotional changes going on; could come from another voice besides Brian
- Have “office hours” before a service
- Continue this discussion next month
Annual Auction – how board can help
- Moving forward with feedback from last meeting, including making more available to more people to attend as a party vs. as an auction
Annual calendaring of all-Fellowship events; avoid conflicts with auction events
- By middle of Sept we will have a calendar for the year for all-Fellowship activities that we can give to the auction committee
- Idea of blocking off the 3rd Saturday for example for all-Fellowship events
- Keep Fridays free for game nights (alternate with Saturday afternoons for families?)
Data privacy – draft proposal (Jason)
- Let’s involve Greg Stovall, Crystal, Brian, Beth as editor of the Zine, Jen Gill for newcomer aspect
- Year end appreciation party for staff (January)
- Auction item
- Volunteer appreciation event?
- Discuss further next month
Soul matters materials (Brian) – move to next month
Action Items Review – Erika
- Peter follow up with Finance Committee about sustainable finance task force
- Peter convene Brian and Chris Stovall, look at list of efforts and come back with a first pass
- Brian – have a calendar for the year by mid-September for auction committee
Board Actions and Communications
Thank You Notes (Gregory)
|Rob Fawcett and Peter Hartzell||refurbishing kids’ picnic table|
|Liz Davis||for coordinating summer worship (and has earned her doctorate of education)|
- Strategic Plan orientation – Saturday, Sept. 9, 9:30-11:30, Back Lounge
- BoT Meeting – Tuesday, Sept. 26, 7 – 9:30pm, Sanctuary
Closing Circle – Susie
Adjourn: 9:07 pm