An LGBTQ+ Welcoming Congregation
We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
This year, join us in person or online for these Welcoming events.
- Oct 7, 2018 – UUFRC Service: Gender Bender
- Oct 11, 2018 – Day of Awareness: Coming Out Day
- Mar 31, 2019 – Day of Awareness: Transgender Day of Visibility
- May 12, 2019 – UUFRC Share the Plate for San Mateo Pride Center
- May 17, 2019 – Day of Awareness: International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia
- Jun 2, 2019 – UUFRC Service: Pride month (still to be confirmed)
Side with love, and come show your support for our LGBT+ members, friends, community and loved ones. Let them know how welcomed and valued they are. To learn more or get involved, contact Sarah Skovlund.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
UUFRC has been involved with Welcoming Congregations since 1996. We recognize that there’s always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.